Friday, June 8, 2007
How can you not love a sista who fronts a rock band and screams such lyrics as "Scratch your name/Into the fabric of this world/Before you go...?"
The Noisettes - "Scratch Your Name"
Friday, June 1, 2007
Lalah Hathaway, daughter of the great Donny Hathaway, is one of my favorite vocalists, with her though thoughtful phrasing and warm, rich tones. I had the privilege of taking photos of her during her recent stint at Yoshi's in Oakland.
Here are my top five Lalah songs that are currently available on itunes:
1) "Forever, For Always, For Love" -- A heartfelt tribute to R&B's king of longing, Luther Vandross.
2) "When Your Life Was Low" (with Joe Sample) -- A moving tale with a simple message: what goes around comes around.
3) "I Gotta Move On" -- The early '90s track is dated, but Lalah's performance still feels fresh.
4) "Don't Forget to Remember" (with Donald Lawrence) -- A wise reminder to count your blessings.
5) "I'm Coming Back" -- An earnest declaration that some loves never die.